Monday, November 19, 2012

Am I crazy? Or, is FIBROMYALGIA real?

By: Dr. Hulon Crayton 
 
“Within the medical field, not all physicians believe in the condition referred to as Fibromyalgia. However, when I first meet with a patient, if they tell me they hurt … I believe them!  Doctors may look at an x-ray and just because it looks normal, they may assume that the patient is not experiencing any pain. Unfortunately, Fibromyalgia has no definitive way to diagnosis the condition, because there are no lab tests or x-rays that can determine this insipid disease. Conversely, an abnormal x-ray might not show the real source of the person’s pain,” said Dr. Crayton.

Diagnosis as a process:

“The way I approach the diagnosis of any disease is by compiling a thorough history of the patient in combination with a good physical. After reviewing that data, I listen to what the patient has to say about their symptoms and then ask them the right questions to finalize the most accurate assessment. It’s truly a team effort between me and the patient to reach a definitive conclusion regarding their health needs.

“Another misconception that people need to realize is that Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome are not the same thing!  People experiencing Chronic Fatigue Syndrome may not have any pain whatsoever. In addition, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome could be caused by thyroid problems, medications (like blood pressure prescriptions), or sleep apnea to name just a few possible culprits.

“As I indicated above, Fibromyalgia has no primary way of being diagnosed, but we often use lab work to rule out other causes of the patient’s condition so that we can be absolutely certain there is not another secondary cause of the pain. Prior to coming to our office, the person may have been seeing a series of doctors for the various symptoms, (Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Pain Management, Depression, and Sleep Apnea, etc.), but when these signs are combined they may point to Fibromyalgia.

There IS help!

“My work with patients who have Fibromyalgia has been very gratifying because I see their lives turn around for the better. People who have been reclusive, withdrawn from their family and friends, who haven’t been able to do the most common of daily routines like driving, grocery shopping, or interacting with the outside world – after therapy – become a part of society again, and have a new lease on life with a more positive attitude.One woman said, through her tears, ‘For someone to finally believe me when I say I have a problem, and that I’m not crazy, gives me hope for the future.’

“While the symptoms of Fibromyalgia may never totally go away, we try to work on the triggers within the patient’s environment to relieve some of their anxiety and pain. If you feel you may be a candidate for a consult regarding this “stealth disease”, we’d like to encourage you to contact our office so that Fibromyalgia won’t be able to steal any more of your life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment